To train surgeon to function independently as competent cosmetic surgeon by;
- Ensuring the trainees acquire knowledge of the principles of cosmetic surgical practice.
- Ensuring the trainees to develop the appropriate personal standards of integrity, compassion, and ethics to encourage the development of self directed life-long learning.
At the completion of training, the trainee will have acquired the following competencies:
- A.1. Rhinoplasty (Augmentation and Reduction)
- A.1.a.ePTFE rhinoplasty
- A. 1.b. silicon rhinoplasty
- A.1.c. cartilage/bone rhinoplasty
- A.2. blepharoplasty
- A.2.a. upper blepharoplasty/asian double eyelid surgery
- A.2.b. lower blepharoplasty
- A.4. rhytidetomy
- A.4.a temporal lift
- A.4.b. mini/mid facelift
- A.4.c. full facelift
- A.4.d. forehead lift
- A.4.e. neck surgery
- A.5. malar/ cheek augmentation
- A.6. otoplasty
- A.7. mammoplasty (augmentation and reduction):
- A.7.a. nipple reduction
- .7.b. areolar reduction
- A.7.c. inverted nipple
- A.8. mastopexy
- A.9. liposuction
- A.10. abdominoplasty
- A.11. butt augmentation
- A.12. scar revision
- A.13. lip surgery (reduction / widening)
BASIC COSMETIC SURGERY CORE KNOWLEDGE
- 1st month – 3rd month: First assistant and removal of stitches.
- 4th month- 6th month: Graduated responsibility like prep of patient, drawing and markers, giving the local anesthesia.
- 7th month-9th month: Suturing and dressing
- 10th month – 12th month: Dissection, Suturing, etc.
- The preceptee will continue to do functions of the first year but on the wider scale with more responsibilities on patient care.
- Training on decision making regarding procedures and/ or techniques best suited for each patient.
- Training on decision making regarding treatments of choice for the different complications one sees in private practice.
- May operate under supervision on their own patients or on charity patients.
GENERAL TASK/ PERFORMANCE GOAL
- 1. History and CP clearance of the patient
- 2. Laboratory information
- 1. Pre-operative
- a. Planning the surgical operation
- B. preparation for surgical operation
- 2. Operative
- A. performing the surgery
- B. needs to modify operative plans
- 3. Post-operative
- A.post-operative monitoring
- B. post operative care
- C. post operative medication
- D. Early recognition and handling of complications
- 1. Recognition for intermediate intervention
- 2. Surgical progress monitoring
- monthly scientific meeting of Philippine Society of Cosmetic Surgery (PSCS)
- Monthly grand Rounds, conferences/lectures- held every 1st wed of the month. The case to be discussed is assigned by the training officer.
- Annual convention of Philippine Society for Cosmetic Surgery (PSCS), Asia Pacific Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (APACS)
- International conventions
- Convention of liposuction society
- Film showing
CSI GUIDELINES FOR ACCEPTING TRAINEES
- 1. Bio data with 2×2 colored picture
- 2. Letter of application
- 3. Two recommendation letters
- 4. Medical diploma
- 5. Medical board certificate
- 6. Certificate of residency training
- 1. He must be a graduate of an approve college of medicine in the Philippines and the Asia Pacific Region and duly licensed to practice medicine in the country of origin.
- 2. He/she must be a graduate of accredited residency training program in Plastic Surgery, ENT-HNS, General Surgery and Ophthalmology, Dermatologic Surgery, Obstetrics-Gynecology.
- 3. He/she must be physically and emotionally healthy, mature, responsible, and honest.
- 4. He/she must show a keen interest in the field of cosmetic surgery.
- 5. He/she must express willingness to complete the two year fellowship training program.
- 6. He/she must pass the interview and screening given by the training committee.
CSI Basic Rules and Regulations
- The services rendered by the trainee of CSI is exclusive, hence private practice in cosmetic surgery is strictly prohibited. Parameters to be amended from time to time as necessary.
- The trainee should follow the rules and regulations of CSI
- Trainee must be familiar with all the rules and regulations of the CSI. Ignorance of these will not be accepted as a valid excuse for any violations.
- The trainee is a full-pledge doctor and consequently he should act and behave like one.
- He/she must be morally responsible and ethical.
- He/she should conduct him/herself as a professional aussie slots at all times and as such, command the respect of the people around him.
- He/she should give her time unselfishly in order to learn, and accept critisms, suggestions and advise from his superiors with humility and open-mindedness.
- He/she should be dedicated and serious to his/her work.
- All trainees must see all cosmetic surgery patients
- Trainees are strictly prohibited from discussing or commenting on the procedures, techniques performed by the CSI consultant unless he/she was given permission by the latter to do so
- In private patients, trainee are strictly prohibited from giving instructions to the patient unless permitted by the consultant
- In private patients, trainees are strictly prohibited from giving instructions to the patient unless permitted by the consultant
- All trainees are required to attend and participate in all scheduled conferences, operations and other activities of the CSI
- No service case is to be operated on by the trainee without the prior permission and with the actual supervision of the consultant.
- The trainee should know the schedule of the operation. It is his responsibility to know what operations he is scheduled to performed or assist. In case he cannot assist, he should notify the training officer ahead of time.
- The trainee assigned for an operation must be in the operating room and preferably scrubbed 15 minutes before scheduled time of operation.
- The trainee is not only required to assist properly in operations but must also possess enough knowledge and skills concerning the procedure.
- The trainee should see to it that the preparation of the patient before surgery is properly done namely: position of patient, position of lights. He should also see to it that all the instruments and equipment needed are complete and prepared.
- He must not leave the operating room unless the patient’s dressings and other ancillary procedures necessary for the patients are properly done.
- The trainee should accomplish operative notes.
- The trainees must keep a record of all operations he has assisted and performed. This is also a requisite for promotion, retention and graduation from the training program.
- Ledger of operations should be monitored by training fellows (sample below).
LEDGER OF OPERATIONS:
DATE NAME OF PATIENT PROCEDURE PLACE OF SURGERY CONSULTANT W/ SIGNATURE REMARKS(assisted,surg.,observed)